April 1, 2015

Back in Black

Great women have something in common, but it is something that others might mistake for a personality flaw.  I offer the following evidence:  Shirley Manson is only happy when it rains; Queen Elizabeth's favorite state events are the ones where something goes noticeably wrong; and I really like it when things in life don't go as planned.  I'm not a self sabotager, I'm just a sucker for a good story.  And in this over-scripted world, it is sometimes a relief to wrap your tired arms around that old Walt Whitman adage:  "Resist much, obey little."

In 7th grade, I thought Shirley Manson was just depressed.

I understand there is a modern phenomenon by which women put themselves under incredible pressure to be savvy homemakers, perfect mothers, nurturing daughters, to be beautiful and thin and smart and efficient and enlightened and fashionable.  Ladies, please!  That's not living.  So I will look back on my sad attempted Year of Blogging in 2014 with compassion and humor.  It was a abject failure and I think that is great.  Because 2014 was still a good year, those two meager blog posts made me proud, and now I have the chance to try again.   


I wonder if she knows how much we have in common?

Here's the proposition:  for the coming month, I will be blogging every day.  Or trying to blog every day.  Or -- at some point -- probably trying to undermine my own attempts to blog every day just so I can say: "OH WELL!  F*** EVERYTHING!"  Here are blog topics that are currently incubating:   

1.  Riding Bitch:  Memoir of my life on the MARC
2.  My Unlikely Hero, Kim Kardashian
3.  Excommunicated:  Holy Week as a Former Catholic
4.  What if Hurricane Katrina had hit Baltimore?
5.  Sand Trap Social Engagements

When you learn to love your mistakes you will be as happy and unaccomplished as I am!

Note:  I resolved to do something new for every month of my 34th year.  For April, my options were to get a tattoo or blog every day.   And my friend Seamus said blogging is better.  Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment