January 1, 2014

POW! BAM! BANG! Take that, 2013!

It's happened regularly enough for me to wonder.
"You know, I love hearing your thoughts on things,"  said the lady next to me in Monday night spin.  "Do you blog or anything?"
"And I know you do stand-up.  Because you seem just crazy enough.  Tell me, I want to come see you!" said the sales clerk at Nine West last month.  
"My, my, my.  But she shore is opinionated," says my boss.  
"I wonder if you realize how talented you are," wrote Mrs. Barbosa on the front of my poetry assignment in 11th grade English.  
"Well, she was really meant to be a writer but she just can't stand to share anything of herself with others," says my mother.  To total strangers.  While I am standing right there.  
So there you have it.  New Years Day 2014, and I am embarking with friends on a Year of Blogging.  And it will be a year of wonders, indeed.  My purpose?  To write regularly, with accountability.  My fear?  That I have nothing to say.  That every idea in my head actually originated on NPR.  Also, that my mother is right.  My self?  Someone who eschews social media out of cold shrieking obstinacy and romantic notions of how one should relate to the world and to others.  Someone who is not inclined to stay interested in a hobby for an entire year.  But -- above all else -- someone who likes to prove her mother wrong.  

And that may be my saving grace.



No comments:

Post a Comment